Gordie's Movie Reviews

I just like to watch movies. Here's a blog that keeps track of how I felt after watching them so that you could also watch or avoid them when you want to sit back and enjoy a movie.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

A movie that reveals what a geisha is all about. Before watching this movie, I didn't have much of a clue on what a geisha was. I actually thought they were just prostitutes at that time in history. But after watching the film, I have a better understanding of what a geisha really is. It was strange seeing the actors and actresses speak english. In my opinion, they should've had them all speak Japanese and with english subtitles. What was even more weird was the fact that there were Chinese actors who had a chinese accent speaking english. I just couldn't get past the fact that Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh were supposed to be Japanese. But if you could get past that, you'll see a beautifully cinematographed movie that reveals to us what the geisha life is about. Not only that, we see a romance story that was pretty effective. I found the movie moving at an interesting but slow pace until Zhang Ziyi becomes a geisha. 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home